On Sunday, the children of the church led us in Children's Sabbath. It was a beautiful worship filled with joy and innocence. We heard how Jesus welcomed the little children saying: "Let the little children come to me, do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God." Mark 10:
As we hear the many ways in which children are hindered from experiencing the joy, justice and mercy of the kingdom of God because of their situations in life, we also heard Cal Attel's testimony about how he finds the kingdom of God through our Kids in mission program. Listen to Cal's story about how he receives the kingdom of God:
Serving as a Child.....
Read: Mark 10:13-27
1) One way we serve others as children at Walnut Hill UMC is through the monthly Kids in Mission program. Which activity has been your favorite and why?
(In the last year we have done Cookies for Teachers, Meals on Wheels, Wipe Out Graffiti, May Day Baskets, Manna Bags, Kids Against Hunger, Caring for the Earth: Water Conservation Posters) I liked the Kids Against Hunger the most because I loved making the bags of food. It was and still is so much fun!
2) How have the talents and gifts God has given you helped you during Kids in Mission programs?
God has given me carefulness to help me be careful when holding the meals for Meals on Wheels. God has also given me the feeling to help others when we are making bags for Kids Against Hunger.
3) How have you learned to serve others as Jesus taught through the Kids in Mission activities?
I have learned not to be selfish when people need food or water. I have learned to be kind and if people are poor, I can give them what they need like food or water.
4) What question about God has the service activities brought to mind?
How does God give us the power to do what we do? When does God give us the ability to do the work that we do?
5) Have the service opportunities led you to pray for others differently than in the past?
Yes, because they have shown me how to do that differently than how I used to by being more intentional about it.
By Calvin Attel
How will you Go DEEEPER this week?
- I will encourage a child by volunteering to read once a week with a Project Transformation child.
- I will expect God to be at work by praying for the issues in our neighborhood I have heard about today.
- I will engage with members of the community by having conversations that are focused on the good work of God among us regarding the challenges and joys in the neighborhood.